Charla - Topeka, Kansas

I believe the spelling of ‘friend’ has taught me the true meaning of friendship. Think of it this way: the ‘I’ comes before the ‘E’ in friend, therefore spelling ‘end’. Throughout my years, I encountered many people who have done nothing but be an awful friend to me, eventually, we were no longer friends. The friendship had ended. As I got a little older, my experiences differed throughout high school. My most recent experience allowed me to first realize how friendships may work out.

My best friend, the girl I went to talk to when problems seemed as if they would never stop growing, had betrayed me. My parents welcomed their home to her, and she stole right from under my nose while I was in the same room with her. When I did find out she had stolen it from me, I was deeply hurt. Yes, I was angry, but having my best friend for almost a decade take something from my house was just pathetic. It disappointed me to have to hear her lie to me in front of her family and my own. It made me wonder if she was really my friend to begin with after all. Not only that, but all the trust I had built up in her was gone all over a single item she wanted.

I began to do some deep thinking about the reason why she did steal from me. I couldn’t possibly think of one good reason. As for her lying to me, I didn’t she why I should believe anything that came out of her mouth. As I looked back at the times she had told me things, I wondered what were true or what was made-up.

This event hasn’t clouded my views on all of my friends because I know that many of my friends are not thieves. It has just taught me to be a better person as to whom I should pick to be friends with. I am most definitely not going to stop having people over because I cannot shelter myself from the outside world and have myself believe all people will steal from me. I don’t believe in being inferior to my fears that have resulted from bad experiences.

What I have learned, though, is that all friendships come to an end, hence the ‘end’ in the word friend. Whether one friend steals, bad mouths, or just moves away, all friendships have a beginning chapter as well as an ending chapter. Sometimes the last chapter may be boring, end on a good note, or even a bad note.