Jenna - Heber City, Utah
Themes: work

Jenna McDonnell

“This I Believe” Essay

December 18, 2007

Practice Makes Perfect

I believe that without practice you will not succeed on what you are trying to do. In other words, practice makes perfect. That statement is just about as straight forward as you can make it because there is no other way to say that or explain it.

My favorite thing to do is snowboard. I didn’t get to my level just by waking up one morning and saying, “I’m going snowboarding and I am going to be really good”; no it doesn’t work like that. I had to practice to get where I am.

I remember that when I first started I was so bad I had to hold onto my dad’s arm just to get off the lift. One thing that surprised me the most is that my dad is a skier and he taught me to snowboard and I still made it to where I am because I had lots of practice.

On the very first day that I tried to snowboard I was with my sister and we were getting off the lift and we both totally biffed it. That day I tried a run and me and my sister both absolutely hated it. My sister still has the same opinion on snowboarding because she didn’t try more and practice. Now I have the best attitude towards snowboarding because I went back and practiced until I couldn’t do it anymore.

I am very glad that I am where I am. Before when I wasn’t very good I would fall and I hated it because I would get hurt and I don’t like to get hurt because it stops me from doing something that I love to do. For example my brother had broken his shoulder snowboarding and separated his collar bone, when that happened he got so upset because he couldn’t go snowboarding for another six months. I bet that if I had broken a bone that would keep me from snowboarding then I would just go crazy. But back to the whole practice makes perfect situation, if you don’t practice you’re going to be stuck at one level of skill or you may not even like what you’re doing any more.

If you just expect to wake up and be pro at something then it more than likely won’t happen. All you have to do is practice and it’s not like it’s a big deal so just practice and you will be good to go and then you will be able to wake up and say, “I am good at this because I practiced.” I just want you to understand the fact that practice does make perfect.