Anthony - Tacoma, Washington
Themes: tolerance

I believe in acceptance. As easy as this sounds, trust me it’s not. These days lunch-room cliques are everything, and acceptance is nothing. Supposedly the skaters belong with the skaters, jocks belong with the other jocks, preps belong with the other preps, and nerds belong with the other nerds. This procedure is becoming a school-wide code of conduct and little to nothing is being done about it.

I am a freshman at Wilson High School. Where, just like any other high school acceptance is found almost nowhere. Acceptance isn’t cool it’s not accepted, and those who do choose to accept, mostly find negative conclusions. I have heard the questions “Why were you hanging out with the skaters,” or “What are you doing at that lunch-table,” during these first 3 months towards the rest of my life, and if this is what I have to hear for 3 and a half more years, it’s going to be the longest years of my life.

This realization struck me in 6th grade, and sadly this is the first time I have thoroughly shared my thoughts with anyone. I remember back in elementary school when almost anything was accepted, now there are certain “rules” we follow to be accepted. These ludicrous “rules” include name-brand clothing, matching clothes at all times, blending into the cool crowd, plus much, much more. People, including myself need to think outside the box and live life the way it was made to be lived; freely and acceptingly.

At school, I have witnessed a select few of others that agree with my outlook on this problem. These few people have inspired me to do things that 3 years ago I would have never even considered, one of which writing this essay on this particular topic. Our society needs people who can accept, because if thou cannot accept others, how can thou possibly accept thyself? Imagine what the world would be like if acceptance became a common fixation, if this entire problem was just a world-wide phase, diverse huh?

With all this said imagine to yourself, do you embrace acceptance in your everyday life? If not, will you begin to include it, or even counsel others to? Do you accept me for attempting to advise others to end this phase, if not why? I believe in acceptance, bar-none.