Shauni - Heber, Utah
Themes: sports

Shauni Muhlestein

“This I Believe” essay

December 14, 2007

“Dancing my problems away”

I am on the Wasatch High School drill team. We recently held a competition at our high school. We took first in the small lyrical division. Something that really gave me an incentive to work harder was when our coach told us one of her favorite quotes, “Not one girl can make us, but one girl can break us”. I didn’t want to be that one girl that broke us. I wanted to be apart of the team and help us take first.

I have a lot of moral support from my family and friends, but not all of my friends supported my decision to be on the high school drill team. Some of them made hurtful comments about me devoting almost all my time to dancing.

But, something that I have always been taught since I was a small child is standing up for what I believe in. I believe in dancing. Dancing is a major part of my life it helps me let go of my problems in a healthy way.

I have been dancing for five years. The more I dance the more I fall in love with the way it makes me feel inside and about me.

When I am dancing, the only thing that matters is the way I move my body and the beat of the music. Dancing gives me a feeling that no one will be able to take away from me. It is the feeling that I was hoping to find for many years. It became my new coping strategy.

About two weeks before Christmas in 2002, my mother died. It was very devastating for me and my family. While I was trying to deal with my mother’s death, I found an unhealthy coping strategy that seemed to be working for me at the time.

I was hoping to find the feeling that I get from dancing. But nothing was the same.

Dancing lets me escape into my own world. A world with no problems. I have also gained other great experiences from dancing.

Some of the amazing experiences that I gained from dancing were performing at Disneyland, taking first in a national’s competition, and dancing at a competition at Lagoon.

Dancing is a part of what makes me who I am today. Without it, I don’t know where I would be. This I believe.