Christina - Heber City, Utah

Mind Over Matter

I believe that you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it. I believe this because it has happened to me. My goal for the past few years has been to get a standing back-handspring. I have been physically able to do one for about four to five years, although mentally could not do a back-handspring. I had a phobia of doing one. I am not sure what scared me about them. I could do one with someone spotting me, but if they took their hand away, I couldn’t. It wasn’t that I was scared of landing on my head; I’ve done that plenty of times. It is a phobia that I cannot explain.

Every week I would go to tumbling and go through the same process. I was not progressing and I wouldn’t until I got over my fear. Later, I switched tumbling teachers. One day, my new teacher told me something I will never forget. She said, “Mind over matter.” At first I wasn’t sure what it meant. Every night, I would have that running through my head. What does it mean? What is she talking about when she says, “Mind over matter”? The next week she told me the same thing, “Mind over matter.” As I kept thinking about it, the better I understood it: I was the only one who could talk myself out of this fear. I was the one holding myself back. I needed to focus more on the mind, rather than on the matter. I needed to believe in myself.

Every time I did a back handspring from then on, I would give myself a personal pep talk. I would tell myself, “Mind over matter,” over and over again in my head. Now I have overcome my fear of back handsprings and accomplished my goal. Whenever I get stuck on something or someone tells me I can’t do it, I tell myself, “Mind over matter.” It has helped me to remember to never stop believing in myself. I doubted my potential, and it stopped me from doing something that I really wanted to do. My advice to you is to reach for the stars, because if you believe in yourself, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.