Katie - Heber City, Utah

Katie H

This I Believe Essay

Bum Phillips once said, “The only discipline that lasts is self-discipline.” This quote has helped shape my beliefs. It has made me realize that parents can only go so far and then their kids have to take control over their lives, even if they don’t want to.

While growing up my parents, like most, would always try to teach me what was right and how to make good decisions. At first, I thought I didn’t really have a choice. I thought I should just do what my parents said or else I would suffer from the consequences. But as time went on I realized that wasn’t necessarily the truth. I realized my parents weren’t always going to be around to tell me what to do, or get mad at me for doing it. I realized the choice was mine. I just didn’t get to choose what the consequences would be, whether that they were good or bad. One of my best friends, a friend I literally grew up with, realized this as well. For now we’ll call him Hank.

Hank had just turned sixteen, and with that he received a little more control over his life. It was a warm August night and he was going to a bonfire. He felt good, he had been waiting to turn sixteen forever and now he finally had. He finally had more control.

As he sat there in good company with his friends he noticed something was being passed around the fire. It grabbed his attention, and as he kept observing he noticed that as they passed it, people started to smoke it. He froze and his heart skipped a beat. He could literally feel the adrenaline rush thorough his body, he felt the sweat starting to form in his palms. He knew what it was. It was a drug. It was a simple plant that people smoked for fun, to get high, or to relax. It was Marijuana, pot, weed, call it what you want.

By then it was closer, only a couple more people away from him. Everything Hank had learned as a little kid from his parents was now starting to jumble and escape his mind. He then realized that he actually had to make the choice himself. No one was telling not to and no one was telling him to. It was completely up to him.

As exciting as that is to have that freedom, it is equally just as scary. Parents aren’t always going to be there to tell you what you should or shouldn’t be doing. You have to make your own decisions eventually even if you don’t want to. If you choose not to make a decision you have already made a choice. You have to discipline yourself because the only discipline that lasts is self discipline.