Robert - West Columbia, Texas
Themes: fear

Futility of Words

I believe that writing how I feel is a waste of time, not only for me, but also for all who read it. Human emotions are far too complex to be expressed by this paltry pen and paper. And words are far too limited to describe what I feel and think about the world around me.

While I sit here writing, I wonder how I could express how I feel into words, until finally I realize that I cannot. There are no words to accurately describe what I feel and why I feel the way I do. There is not a way for me to concisely describe my feelings on a sheet of paper. My thoughts are too complex to be held within the limitations impressed on me by the words in the English language. The human mind is like a whirling vortex of thought and trying to isolate one feeling or belief and translate it into words is near to impossible. There are many beliefs that I hold which make me who I am today, however I possess no one core belief. There is not a way for me to isolate one belief from the rest, because all of my beliefs are intertwined and form the foundations of other beliefs. So trying to describe my beliefs in a short 500-word essay is an exercise in futility. Feelings are defined as an indefinite state of mind, so if feelings are not definite things then how can definite things such as words describe them? The purpose of words is to describe ones thoughts or feelings, but if my thoughts and feelings are confined to can be portrayed with words, then my thoughts are not truly expressed. Thoughts are more than can be expressed with words; they are emotions and ideals that cannot be described by such limited things and words.

The sole purpose of writing is to convey a thought or feeling, unfortunately thoughts and feelings are too complicated to be shackled by the limitations of language. I can write whatever I want but with the limitations of words, my thoughts will never be truly expressed.