Aaron - Sweeny, Texas
Themes: gratitude

We Should Be Thankful

There are many things in this world that we should be thankful for, instead we take them for granted. Material things such as the home I live in, my belongings, and even the people that I know I sometimes take for granted.

As I grew older, from a child to a teenager, my parents taught me to be thankful for everything. I was told this over and over and it seemed as though I just started to ignore it. I heard it so many times I knew it, but it was as though it was no big deal. I mean I was thankful for everything but I had no idea how thankful I should be.

One day while I was searching for videos on the computer I came across this music video. It was a love song, but the video was about a boy and a girl that lived in Africa. As I watched it something hit me emotionally, and I looked around at everything I had and how little those two kids had in Africa. I could not even get over how worn out the clothes on their backs looked. I realized how lucky I was to have even a nice pair of shoes. It was like I was living in a fantasy and they were living a nightmare.

Another experience I had taught me to be thankful for what I have occurred a little over a year ago. I remember waking up one morning in November and my mom was on the phone. I knew something had happened by the tone of her voice, but I had no idea how extreme it was. She told me that a girl in my grade whom I had talked to on several occasions growing up had died in a car accident. I remember feeling something deep in the pit of my stomach and it suddenly became hard to talk. A girl who was my age and in my grade had died. She was not real close to me, but we were friends. It just made me think how precious our own lives are. How everyday we should be thankful to wake up and be in this world with people that care about us. I do not know how I could cpe with one of my family members dying, and I pray that nothing like this will ever happen to them.

As you can see from the material things such as the clothes on our backs and even our precious lives that we have, we should be thankful for everything. I know it is easy to take things for granted especially when we get caught up in this world, but we need to try our hardest to never forget what we have.