Kirby - Sweeny, Texas

Starting the Flame

Individualism is the single, most important quality that human society is based on. We were all created with a purpose, a purpose that we spend fulfilling throughout the entirety of our lives. Often, one’s purpose is overlooked or forgotten within the blur of our stressful environment.

The pressures teens face around the world are truly indescribable. Living in a small town, I have been sheltered from the big city, big money, and drama filled type world. Though this is true, every girl, no matter where she lives, feels pushed to look talk, and act a certain way. Every guy feels pressured to be smarter, stronger, and faster than everyone else. I believe that we each hold the right to be happy and accepting ourselves. Our materialistic world is taking away the very things that make us who we are.

As a Christian, I strive to let every action I take reflect my Savior’s majesty. My purpose is not to be considered attractive by the world, smart by the computers, or athletic by the coaches. Instead, it is simply to fulfill the plan God has for me. It is easy to forget this simplicity because the media is constantly telling me I need to be everything I’m not and “they” are. I want to have an impact on this life, an impact that will affect someone else. Not so that they remember me, but so that they remember what I stood for.

Like a fire, burning across a dry, brittle landscape, catching everything in its path, a true revolution needs to take place. A revolution needs to take place. A revolution that proves to the less confident that it’s okay to be different. A revolution that shows the weak, there are others to help them up. A revolution that makes people realize, this is their only chance to live! It only takes one to start the flame. One soul, one life, one determination. Our purpose should never be ignored, but rather treasured.

“We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.” –Marian Wright Edelaman