Marilyn - Albany, New York

“At the end of the day” – where did this statement come from? It seems to be the most inexhaustible statement of the 21st Century. It has been over used, over emphasized, over rated and should be tossed over board. It’s become a source of humor for me and each time I hear it, I smile or sometimes laugh out loud. It’s like counting Red Tail Hawks as I spot them along the thruway. At the end of the day, I’ve begun to compare Red Tails counts with, at the end of the day counts.

Everyone from newscasters, to CEO’s, radio personalities, to toll booth ticket takers…it’s driving me mad. However, it’s proving a point that has been looming before me for years and that point is…no one has a mind of their own. Catchy statements and words are picked up and spread among humans quicker than a spider nabs its prey when caught in a sticky web. At the end of the day is just that, it’s the end of the day. That can mean many time zones to many different people but it’s no more than that.

Politicians say, at the end of the day, the soldiers are still in Iraq. Donald Trump says, at the end of the day, you were not doing a good job, you’re fired. And, of course, Wall Street says, at the end of day, the Bull was down. That’s right it’s all bull. This I believe.

“At the end of the day” statement has such potency that it’s grabbed immediately by those mimicking magnetic minds. It attaches itself to the brain and soon even the dog responds when he hears…at the end of the day…its time to eat! Time to eat is exactly what it should mean to all of us…at the end of the day, its dinner time. This I believe.

As the sun rises each day, there are still those who will continue to say it. Don’t they realize they are wishing our lives away each time they restate…

at the end of the day? To them it’s over but to the rest of us the day has just begun…it’s still morning.

I had to write it eleven times just to create this 408 word story. There are six words in this statement which appear eleven times in my story. So sixty-six words were repeated eleven times…need I say more. This I believe.