Haydan - Topeka, Kansas

There is nothing that can define sisters. Sisters are best friends, worst enemies, and all the other clichés. Whether you’re older, younger, or twins, sisters are one of a kind. As the oldest sibling in the family I could never understand the mindset of my younger sister. She always copied me, always told on me, and always wanted me to protect her from the monsters under the bed. I just couldn’t figure out why she couldn’t do anything for herself, and because of that mindset, and because she is seven years younger than me, we never quite got along. We could have, if we had tried, but we didn’t. And it drove my mom up the wall.

Unfortunately we both grew older and so she had to move out of my younger brother’s bedroom, and into mine. Not that that helped any. The fights grew more frequent and finally my father had to take the locks off of all the bedroom doors. But we were still the best of friends and as they say ‘it’s always darkest just before dawn.’ And for my sister and I, dawn came my freshman year of high school.

High school is completely different than middle school and elementary school. I had dances, clubs, sports, parties, etc. The time I spent with my sister, and family, became less and less until we only spent dinner and some weekends together. It was in that time that I realized how precious my sister was to me, and how much of a role model I was to her, regardless of how much I didn’t want to be. She had gotten into something of a fight at school; she tripped a girl and stepped on her and the other girl said it was on ‘purpose’. My little sister and brother were the ones constantly fighting now, and she didn’t talk to me about anything. I was devastated. I kept asking myself what had happened to her? Why was she acting this way?

Finally one morning before school, I asked her about the things she was doing and the way she was acting. And you know what her response was? “I miss you.” Those three simple words floored me. I had no response. I didn’t think I had anything to do with it, and I find out, that I was the reason behind her behavior.

When I looked back everything did come back to the fact that I was never home. My sister felt left out and unloved and so she changed what she was doing to get me to realize what I was doing. It was hard work, but over the next few months we salvaged our bond and created a new one. I can honestly say, nothing has ever been more rewarding. But as I said before, sisters are special and unique and no two are ever the same.