kayla - wilmington, Massachusetts
Themes: death, illness

I Believe

I believe that everything happens for a reason. You can’t take life for granted because you’re life can be taken away in seconds. This experience made me the person I am today and it will forever be apart of me. Five years ago, I lost my aunt after her tough battle with breast cancer. She was the best aunt anybody could ask for and I couldn’t even imagine that she was really gone. She was such a young and beautiful women. Nobody expected to lose her that early. It was hard for me to understand from the very beginning what was going on. I began to become suspicious and thought something was wrong when I noticed a change in my moms personality. I could tell something was wrong with her and it was hurting her, but she wanted to stay strong for my family and me, but it was hard for her to do so. Things became a little more clearer when my parents were out a lot more. They spent less time at home and they were often occupied. I noticed a lot more changes, especially when my aunt became very tired all of a sudden.

Things became clearer, when I noticed she cut her hair very short; that’s when my parents finally told me the bad news. I was devastated and really scared, not only for myself, but for my whole family. I could only imagine the worst, but hoped for the best. My aunt began chemotherapy and things were looking good; experts thought that they had caught it in time and things would be okay. She fought this long battle with cancer for almost two years. It was a very emotional and difficult journey and we had to stand tall for my aunt. She stayed strong for so long until she couldn’t hold on no longer.

Two days before my birthday, December 25, we were informed that she only had 6 months to live. This news was devastating, but eventually we realized we had to make the best out of the situation so she could have the best six months of her life. I spent as much time with her as I could and although it was hard for me, I made the best of it. My aunt died peacefully on June 2, 2002 and although life hasn’t been quite the same without her I have good memories of her that will last forever. I know she is no longer in pain anymore and is watching down on us.

I believe that experiences like these have helped me become the person I am today. These experiences made me stronger and it helped me deal with situations more easily and help others when they are in this position. Even though this situation was very sad, in the long run there were many things I learned from it after the fact. I learned not to take things for granted because it just shows how easily things can be taken away. Some people mistreat their parents, and even I can admit to doing so, but I just think of my cousins who lost their mother and how much they would even appreciate to have her back. I tend to forget how easy I have it compared to others, and I can’t imagine loosing my mom at such a young age. I think that this experience helped me become the person I am today. You have to grow from experiences and I think that this experience will impact my life forever.

I will never forget my aunt and the memories we got to share together. She has left an important place in my heart and she will be a part of my life until the day I die even though she is not with us anymore. As hard as I try, I still struggle to get past the fact that something once so important to me is gone. I spent so much time with her and its still incomprehensible to know that she’ll never be there as much as a dream and hope she will be. I believe all things happen for a reason, yet I still haven’t figured out the reason why this happened. It seems almost unreal why something like this happened for a reason, I can’t even imagine why there would be a reason for my aunt’s death, but maybe somewhere along the road I will figure that out. I believe that this whole experience has made me the person I am today, whether it was for better or for worse,. Learning from what happened, this has been very important to some of the morals and values I believe.