Paul - Midway, Utah
Themes: sports

Paul Siggard

I believe that tennis is one of the best sports. Tennis is a game that you can play almost your whole life. It keeps you physically and mentally strong. Tennis requires a lot of speed, agility, and hand-eye-coordination, as well as a lot of other sports, but I personally think that it’s a mind game over all.

You have to find the strategy of your opponent and then you have to find his weakness and tear him down with it. For example, if he has a weak serve, then you would move closer to the net as he’s going to serve which always throws them off. Then you would attack the net (or run up to the net) which will freak them out. When your opponent sees you standing right in front of the net they will panic and mess up, and you get an easy point.

I have talked with some guys that have been playing tennis for a long time, and they told me, “No matter how frustrated the game makes you, you can’t give up, you have to keep playing the game and never give up on it.”

In my opinion, if you can get inside someone’s head and just make them frustrated they aren’t going to play very well. But at the same time you have to keep your cool, or you’re going to get frustrated by trying to make them frustrated.

Consistency is a major part in the game as well. Someone who can hit the ball with the same accuracy, speed, placement, and strength every time is going to be an amazing tennis player. This is where I need to spend the most time practicing so that I can be a good tennis player someday.

There are different techniques on how to hit the ball. There is a forehand spin which puts a top spin on the ball and makes it lurch forward when it hits the ground on the other side of the net. Next is a backhand slider. This shot will make the ball slide across the court with a very low bounce which makes the ball seem to be gliding over the court. The drop shot gives the ball a back spin so that it goes over the net just barely and then stops. Then if your opponent is standing next to the net, you can hit a lob over his head to the back of the court. If done correctly, they probably won’t be able to return the ball. Placement is the key element.

Tennis is a great combination of physical skill as well as knowledge and mental conditioning. That’s why I believe that tennis is one of the best sports.