Shelby - Marietta, Georgia

I believe that marriage is forever.

My best friend’s parents got a divorce when he was 7 years old. He can tell me the look on his mom’s face, the room they were in, and his dad’s words when they told him they were separating. At the time, he didn’t understand what this meant, or how much pain he would go through. He just imagined how fun it would be to have two houses. As he got older, his ideas changed.

Now that he is old enough, he can tell me of the pain he still experiences today. He remembers switching houses frequently, and not knowing when it would end. With this he remembers feeling as though his parents marriage was a joke, so therefore he was a mistake. He feels hurt, and all together betrayed. The values and beliefs that they taught him so often like love, trust, and faithfulness, all seemed to matter less when his parents separated. Those thoughts changed to make him think that divorce is an okay thing. He also believes that giving up is alright and that true love does not exist.

When he turned 16, he decided to choose to live with his dad. He said even though it was his choice, he felt like his dad was using him to get back at his mom. Still he lives with their choice to get married and then separate.

At 16, I understand what love is. My parents have raised me to understand the different aspects of love and what the true meaning of marriage is. It is not only the binding of two people, but also the binding of their lives, souls, and families together. I have seen my parents fight, witnessed them lose their temper, watched them argue, but not once have they gone to bed angry at each other. For twenty-two years they have been married, and they both can say that they have never thought of divorce.

Marriage is a union between two people. It ties them together for eternity. For better or for worse. Love is not a maybe thing and neither is marriage. Marriage lasts forever. This I believe.