Denise - Cheboygan, Michigan

I believe in laughter. I love to hear my niece laugh when I tickle her belly. She is one, and her laughter is more like a giggle.

I believe in laughter from my twelve-year-old when she watches America’s Funniest Home Videos. Some of the episodes are re-runs, but they make her laugh again. She laughs so hard at times that I have to tell her to take a breath.

I believe in laughter from my dad when he tells us a joke or one of his stories. He forgets he has told us before, but he laughs like it is the first time.

I believe in laughter from my boss when I am frustrated about something at the office. He says it is not the reason of the frustration he is laughing at; it is how I am explaining it. Within minutes he has me laughing too.

I believe in laughter from my elderly patients. There is something about elderly women and their humor. They have a way of joking about their ailments, and I cannot help but laugh with them.

I believe in laughter from children with special needs. They are so proud of themselves when they win a medal in the Special Olympics. I think everyone could learn something from the laughter of a special needs child.

I believe in laughter from reading cards at the store. I like going to Hallmark to purchase my cards. There are so many funny cards to read. I love reading the Maxine cards; she has a smart remark for just about anything.

I believe in laughter when gathering with friends. It is always a good time to get together and talk about old times. We laugh about situations, and we wonder what were we thinking.

I believe in laughter during holiday gatherings with my family. My mom’s cousins come over to visit and they reminisce about when they were kids. The laughter can go on for hours. This is also the time my aunt tells us about funny events in her life. She always has everyone laughing.

I am a firm believer in laughter. It is so contagious that I believe in laughing from hearing others laugh. It may start out as a small giggle and grow into a full-blown, hold your stomach laugh. Laughter is such a great way to relieve stress that I believe everyone should add some laughter to their day.