Bruno - Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Themes: place

Small places…

I was born in a beautiful town called Praia da Vitoria. Praia da Vitoria means “victory beach.” I believe it was a victory to be born in such an amazing place. Praia da Vitoria is a village on Terceira Island. Terceira is part of an archipelago called the Azores and is composed of nine islands in the middle of the Atlantic. They are a beautiful place to be born and live. Luckily, not a lot of people know about this place, and for this reason, it is still a hidden paradise.

Terceira is an amazing place. The coast line is very different from the interior. Where the blue ocean meets the land, I can see the various shapes of black lava. When I am on the coastline, I can enjoy the ocean by swimming in the natural pools made by lava, or I can stand on the rocky shoreline to fish. When I travel to the interior of the island, I am presented with a completely different view. On my way, I will see all the side roads lined with purple and blue hydrangeas. In the middle of the island are a lot of trees, old volcano craters, and caves created by volcanoes. I can see the bulls in the green fields which are divided by walls made with lava rocks. There are so many places to go and see nature untouched. This is a place where I have time to enjoy the best of my life.

I believe in hometowns. Small towns are nice places to be raised and live. People have more time to appreciate life; they are not so stressed. In my small town, I know everybody and everyone says hello to me in the streets. People seem to have more respect for others. Living in small places makes our lives more simplified; life goes at a slow pace. People in small places have more time to spend with their families. They have more freedom to be themselves. They do not feel so much pressure to be somebody else.

The environment in a hometown is more relaxed. Everybody should appreciate the place where they are born. It doesn’t matter if I was born in a small town or a big town; what matters is I never forgot my roots and the good memories of my town and childhood. Today, after living in so many different places, I learned to appreciate deep the place where I was born. I miss being valued and known by the community, and I miss people who knew my grandparents. I believe the victory is to be blessed with the chance to see the real meaning of “beautiful” in one’s hometown. True beauty comes from the earth and the people.