A Revalation

Amelia - Rochester, New Hampshire
Themes: love, setbacks

I learned to believe in myself the day I walked away from what I thought was my first true love. It was fall of my junior year in high school when I fell for him. I was sure it was love at first sight. My friend came up to me one day asking me if I had seen “the sexy Mexican with bright red shoes.” I said no, having no idea what she was talking about.

It was time for the town fair. I went with a few friends, and we saw our male friends in a big group of people. I spotted a cute boy in the group who I didn’t recognize, and I looked down and saw bright red shoes. Later that night, I asked my friend who that boy was. He told me his name was Mikey, and he gave me Mikeys screen name. I never instant messaged him because I was too nervous.

The next day at cheerleading practice, I found out that Mikey was dating one of the cheerleaders. I was so upset because I had feelings for Mikey even though I didn’t know him. So, I decided it obviously wasn’t meant to be. Then, to my surprise, a few days later, I found out Mikey and his girlfriend broke up. After school that day, my friend and I saw Mikey after school and decided to talk to him. He wrote his screen name on my hand, and it was that moment that I fell in love. We started dating on October 31, 2005.

We had a great relationship. Only one problem… I was very selfish. About a year and a half later, Mikey broke up with me, and he found a new girlfriend, someone who wasn’t so selfish. I was heartbroken. I didn’t think I would ever get better. Then, after about a week of non-stop crying, I realized I needed to stop caring about myself more than others. I became a new person, a better person. I put a smile on my face, and thanked God everyday that my friends were still there for me. No one knew, but I still cried myself to sleep every night.

About two months later, Mikey and I started talking again. He saw how much I changed, and he changed too. We decided to get back together. It was like we fell in love all over again. Just when I thought everything was perfect and that we would be together for the rest of our lives, he broke up with me again five months later. This time, I took it harder. I knew it was really over. I couldn’t eat, and I couldn’t sleep. I went to class a few days after, and everyone could tell I wasn’t my happy cheerful self. Then my professor gave me the best advice anyone could ever give me… He said, “Handle this the way you would want my eight-year-old to handle it; lead the way! Set a good example by moving on positively!” Those words are what got me through. Today, I have never been happier where I am in my life, and I have so many people to thank for that.