“The Most Amazing Sound”

Michelle - Rochester, New Hampshire
Themes: birth, parenthood

I believe in a child’s laughter. It is a simple thought that many people overlook these days, but when my son laughs, it brightens my day.

On the day my son was born, it was lightly snowing on the way to the hospital. I was in a lot of pain. I looked out the window and tried to concentrate on the snow falling so gently from the sky. It seemed like the longest car ride ever at the time. Around eight o’clock in the morning, when we finally arrived at the hospital, the doctor advised me that I would deliver my baby before noon.

After hours of complications, I still had not delivered my baby. It was four o’clock in the afternoon, and I could see the concerned looks on the faces of my family members and the doctors. The nurses also kept looking at the doctors. I could tell something was wrong. They encouraged me to keep going, but I was exhausted.

At five o’clock, one of the doctors told me that I was almost there. I was angry at this point: I was angry with myself. I was angry with the doctors. I was angry with everybody. Eighteen minutes later, my son was born. The doctors moved quickly once I delivered.

I was terrified. I had not even seen my baby yet; he was whisked away immediately. Everybody was gathered around my baby at the other side of the room. My mother stayed with me, next to my bed. I kept asking if my baby was okay, but I did not get a response.

After what seemed like an eternity, one of the doctors came over with my baby. He explained the complications that my baby had, as well as the complications that I had. He assured me that everything was okay, and my baby and I were going to be fine. He handed my baby to me, and I looked into his eyes for the first time. I felt a huge relief, knowing that he was going to be okay. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I held him for the first time. I cradled my son and thought about how lucky I was to have him.

It is now four and a half years later. I cherish every day I have with Zachary. He truly is a miracle. He is pleased by the simple things in life, like watching his favorite movie, or playing a game, or spending time with his family that he loves so much. Most of all, Zachary loves the snow. Every year, he is excited when we have the first snow. He loves to bundle up, go outside, and catch the snowflakes on his tongue. Nothing makes him laugh more than playing in the snow or throwing snowballs at Mommy!

When I hear Zachary laugh, it makes me smile. It is the most amazing sound in the world. I love to see him grin ear-to-ear and to see his eyes light up. The feeling that I get is not something that can be described. It can only be felt if you have children of your own. When he laughs, I feel like the luckiest person in the world, and I believe I am.