I believe that everything happens for a reason.

Hilary - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: purpose

In high school, I wasn’t the most popular person, always shy and quiet. Teachers liked me; I didn’t cause trouble. I was a band nerd, which didn’t place me at the top of the school. I labeled myself an average Jane. I chose a college close enough to home, but still far enough, that gave me more options later. It wasn’t the main campus, so I felt once again like I was not good enough, but that was what I wanted. I had come to terms with being only average. If I had never gone to that campus, I would have never met the friends who have gotten me through all the hard things I’ve dealt with, no matter how small.

Most of my friends followed me to the main campus, and a few were lost along the way, whether from differing schedules or where we lived. It is always hard to lose touch with good friends, especially when they were a big part of your life. This is when I started realizing that there is a reason for everything. I make so many new friends through classes, organizations, and even through other friends. I know they won’t stay around forever, except for the ones who are true, but I know they come into my life for some reason, whether it was to introduce me to someone else or to give me some funny memories.

But in the past couple of months was when I knew for sure that everything does happen for a reason. My quest in this past spring semester was to get an internship for the summer—my goal, New York City. But as much as I applied, I never got a response. I once again deemed myself average and applied for internships near school. The most I got was an interview and some e-mails saying the position was filled. I got discouraged and resorted to finding a part-time job.

After minimal searching, I filled a part-time position at a bookstore. I am thankful for resorting to what I considered “average”. I work with the best people I have ever worked with. It turned into the best summer of my life. I made so many friends, not to mention a wonderful boyfriend. On top of that, an internship that turned me down before summer offered me an internship for fall, and I am finally gaining the experience I need to pursue my career.

I look back on the changes that happened so unexpectedly, realizing how good I actually had it all along. If everything didn’t happen for a reason, then what’s the point in life happening? If something doesn’t go your way, it’s not something to worry about. It probably wasn’t supposed to happen anyway. Have you ever noticed that things never happen your way when you try to make them? Let life throw you curveballs, and enjoy the result. It’s not all as bad as it really seems.