Stephanie - New Haven, Connecticut
Themes: Christianity

Jesus is an awesome stunt man. This I believe.

On the first Sunday of Advent our children, Kyra and Robert, each place a small baby Jesus’ at the foot of their bed. Every morning, the children move Jesus closer to the crèche for a Christmas morning arrival.

Over the years, Jesus’ Advent travels through our home bless our family in unexpected ways. One year Kyra, fashion conscious even at the age of three, decided that Jesus’ loin clothe would just not “do” for such a special baby so we made a cloth diaper. Several years ago, Robert, always the engineer, decided a road was necessary for Jesus on his way to Bethlehem. Our halls and stairways were covered in tissues for the road with boxes strategically placed for tunnels and bridges. Jesus once traveled on top of a small ceramic bus bought on our summer vacation. Jesus sometimes gets a bath before the journey begins. Yardsticks and tape measure are used to determine exactly how much progress Jesus should make each day. Over breakfast, the children often discuss where and how far Jesus should travel. We have been known to miss the school bus because the children are intent on moving Jesus.

This year Robert was concerned about Jesus’ mode of transportation. After much conversation and testing of various vehicles, he finally chose the red Hess truck. Carefully, rubber banded and duct taped to the top of the Hess Truck, Jesus was given a trial run. As the Hess truck flipped over and back and smashed into the table legs, Robert yelled, “Jesus is an awesome stuntman.”

And I must agree. For our children, in their faithful hearts, see Jesus’ humanity in that tiny baby born in Bethlehem. In joy and wonder, they witness the incredible beauty of the nativity without ever having to have any proof of its existence. Our children’s discussion about Jesus’ journey, reminds us, their parents, who are too often overwhelmed with the secular demands of the season, that this is the time to prepare for Jesus. But perhaps most importantly, the innocent acceptance of the living Christ in our home is a reminder that Jesus, though he walked this earth many years ago, is constantly among us. If a baby born 2,000 years ago in a far off land can still inspire such deep joy, unconditional love and passionate caring, then I, too, believe that Jesus is truly an awesome stuntman.