Buerkley - Palos Heights, Illinois

When I was young, my parents instilled in me to always do my best at everything, and to never give up on any challenge. They especially taught this to me regarding my schoolwork. My parents have always stressed how important doing well in school is. They began this lesson as any parent would, rewarding good grades with cash or toys. In elementary school, I began to do well in school just to satisfy my parents, not just for the rewards. I was so ecstatic to see their deliriously happy gazes at my report card. I worked hard every year eager to receive their praise. Around my junior year, everything changed. I began to notice that my parents focused on everything I didn’t do rather than my accomplishments. Despite the fact that I had a job, had nothing less than a ninety four percent in any of my classes, helped with housework regularly, and was involved in extracurricular activities, they never seemed to be pleased. No matter how hard I tried, even my best was never enough.

My inspiration started with my first paycheck. I felt so accomplished earning my own money and felt appreciated for my dedication. This new form of self satisfaction was amazing. It really didn’t hit me until I found out I was accepted into the university I had always wanted to attend. I would also receive a yearly renewable scholarship of seven thousand dollars every year for my academic excellence and grade point average. I realized the real reason I should have studied, was for my own benefit. As long as I pleased myself, nothing mattered. It was a complete relief and a sense of pride overwhelmed me.

I believe that the only person that I should feel the need to please, is me. The only person that can judge my success is me. The truth is that once one is happy and confident in themselves they will find that people will like and accept them for who they are. There are always those that will not like them or judge them. That does not matter. The important thing is that they can live their life realizing that they have no regrets and everything they have is from what they’ve accomplished. Every flaw is what makes a person who they are. I believe self motivation is an utmost triumph that ultimately leads to personal achievement.