BOYS!!!

Caroline - Heber, Utah
Themes: morality

Eveyone says men are such gentlemen. Let me break into three simple words: they. . . are. . . not.

Men think that gentlemen are people who open doors for people. That’s not the case. Being a gentlemen can mean lots of things, but I believe it means to help whoever, whenever.

About a year ago, when I was 12, I was going into the grocery store when I saw an elderly man walking to his car and he slipped. His groceries went everywhere! A group of adult men walked by and just laughed; they didn’t even ask if he needed help. I ran over and started gathering his groceries while he tried to get up. The men were still laughing until they saw me helping him. They then ran over to help him up; probably because they didn’t want to get shown up by a girl (wimps)! My guess is that men think that when people are in pain or trouble it’s funny, but when girls step in and help, it becomes a competition to be noticed more.

A few months ago, I was reading an article in a magazine that was lying around my house. In this article a young, pregnant widow needed to move closer to her mom, but she didn’t really have the help to do this. She asked all of the young teenagers in her ward to please come and help her that following Saturday morning. That Saturday came and by noon, the only people who had showed up were all of the young women, even after all of the young men had told her that they would be there. The young women worked all day, barely taking time for lunch, trying to finish moving this women into her new house. By eight o’ clock they had everything out, even the furniture. They had all worked together and had fun doing it at the same time. She said that all of the young men had given the excuse that they had forgotten or they ended up not having time.

I believe that men think that they are being gentlemen, but at the same time they put themselves first even when someone needs their help. Now don’t get me wrong, I know a few boys that are way beyond gentlemen, and yes they are all of the boys I like, but we need more than just a few, we need every single male human! This I believe.