Abby - Heber City, Utah

Abby W

Shelley Long once said, “If you don’t quit, and don’t cheat, and don’t run home when trouble arrives, you can only win.” I believe that if you start something and you say you are going to do it, then you need to stick with it to the end. You should never quit in the middle.

My grade does not have very many people who like to play basketball. They are always complaining about the coach and how hard our practices are. When we played Delta at home we got smoked. The score was forty-four to fourteen. When we were done with the game one of our coaches told us that we need to work harder in practice. Everybody was terrified that we were going to have such a hard practice.

After school the next day some of the girls were talking and decided that they did not want to go to practice and were going to go to the Boy’s basketball game instead. They said that they didn’t want to go because they thought it was going to be hard. One of the girls said she didn’t want to go because she got yelled at. They asked me not to tell and then called their parents to call in and tell Mrs. Pyper that they were going down to Salt lake for a church activity.

When I got to practice I went and told one of my teammates and together we decided to tell our coach what was going on. When she found out she was so mad. When our one coach got there they talked and he went down to the middle school to go and check things out. The next day everybody was talking about it. When we got to practice we had a team meeting with the girls who went to practice. We decided what their punishment was and told them. They were not happy at all about it.

While they were thinking about doing it they did not think about the consequences. They did not realize that they were hurting their team and letting them down. They also missed out on a really good practice. We worked really hard, and went over offensive and defensive plays. We also scrimmaged with the eighth graders so that we could get a good feel for how it would be like in a game.

I was always taught that if I say i am going to do something then I need to stick with it to the end no matter what. I believe that if we commit ourselves to everything we do we will have opportunities to grow and develop into a better person. We will always have other people trust us that we will always be there if they need us.