Buckle Up, Buddy

Tara - Heber, Utah
Themes: setbacks

What is the first thing you do when you get in the car? Do you check your mirrors, turn on the radio, or even eat that delicious sandwich from the back seat? I believe the first thing you should do is buckle your seatbelt, even if you aren’t going far. I will admit I don’t always wear mine, but I try to.

My friend Brittany was in a car accident in July and she wasn’t wearing her seatbelt. At 3:00a.m. her and her friends were drunk and decided to go driving. The police thought they were speed racing but they don’t know because no one in the car can remember.

While they were driving down the road at about 100mph, they came to a “T” in the road. The driver was to drunk to react and didn’t even try to stop, she just turned the wheel and they hit the cement barricade with the side of the car. The car was crushed like a pancake and everyone was pretty badly injured, especially Brittany.

Since Brittany wasn’t wearing her seatbelt she got severely injured! She flew forward and her ear hooked on the seat and got ripped off. She also had her lungs collapse, she fractured her pelvis and cheekbone, broke her jaw, and much more. By the time the police and paramedics got to the accident they didn’t think any of them would be alive. They got everyone out of the car and everyone was alive except…. Brittany. The paramedic did CPR and luckily she was revived. They life flighted her and one other girl out to the hospital. They had to keep her sedated for about a week because of all the surgeries they had to do and since there were so many they just left her wide open and they didn’t want her to have to deal with all the trauma from the accident. She had to have a feeding tube, a breathing tube and all these other IVs stuck in her. They also had to give her a tracheotomy so they could suck all the mucus out because she got sick, and thats how she breathed after a couple weeks when they took out the breathing tube. Also since she wasn’t wearing her seatbelt she flew around the car and hit her head. Her brain was so swollen they had to stick a tube in her head that looked like a guitar slide to help make the swelling go down. Because of this they had to shave all her hair off. She cried the whole time they were cutting it off.

Brittany was in the hospital for about 2 months and didn’t completely recover for a while after that. She had to be on a liquid diet and then just soft foods and gradually work her was back up to eating meat and stuff. There is much more to the story but those were the main points.

Ever since that day i have always tried to wear my seatbelt every time i get in the car. it doesn’t always happen but most of the time it does. I believe we should all try to do this because like i said it can save your life and you never know when you will get in an accident like Brittany.