Kendrick - Marietta, Georgia

I Believe I Can Achieve

Take a look at the greatest icons among us, and you’ll see that most of them were raised as ordinary people. They chose to better themselves and make extraordinary achievements. From the examples of these significant people, it’s easy to see that anyone can make an achievement with just a bit of work ethic and time. Achievement doesn’t have to be immediate; it doesn’t even matter how great an achievement it is. I believe that no matter what obstacles come, each person has the opportunity to achieve what he or she wants in this world, and each of us can somehow make the most out of life.

Before I left my middle school orchestra, I realized that I wanted to lead my fellow musicians in our high school years. My goal became to work my way up to a higher orchestra, and being the end of the school year, auditions were coming up. If I made it into a higher orchestra, I had the chance to start helping others, especially the ones in the bottom orchestra.

When I was called in for my audition, I crept into the small room; I was timid and didn’t feel ready. Once I began playing, I knew it wouldn’t end well, and I accepted my loss and continued. My scales couldn’t have sounded worse; my intonation and tempo were far from perfect. When asked later by my peers how it went, “I bombed it,” was always my reply.

I realized then that to succeed in orchestra, I would need to put in more effort than before. Over that summer and throughout my freshman year I practiced harder, and I made it to the top of the bottom orchestra. The auditions for the following year came, and I knew I could pass; I had already seen that determination and hard work paid off. To get into one of the top orchestras my sophomore year, I practiced so that I was confident and prepared.

At this next audition experience, I stepped into the room with only a tiny sense of doubt; I was sure I was more prepared than the first time. I certainly didn’t play perfectly, but I was more excited to be auditioning because I knew I had a chance. I made it into one of the top orchestras, and when sophomore year came, I was placed in a higher seat within that orchestra than I’d even expected.

Now I’ve learned that all I need to reach my goals is more confidence and practice, and I use this policy even out of the orchestra, especially in my academics. In my junior year, I hope to make it into my school’s highest orchestra, and with the experience I’ll gain this year, I believe I’ll have practiced enough to accomplish this. I plan to work hard in the future, because I know that know matter what it comes to, I can achieve what I want with hard work.