“What the Statue of Liberty means to me”

Cassie - Renton, Washington

I view the Statue of Liberty from a utilitarian point of view. I believe that it is there to remind us that America is here for the greater good and that we all migrated to this country to better ourselves. The Statue stands with the flame in her hand burning for all of the people who fought to make this country free. Freedom from religious persecution; freedom to choose our own natural end; freedom to stand up and say this is what I believe in! It is the Statue’s duty to remind us what we are supporting during these times of war. When I look at the Statue of Liberty it pains me to know that we have friends and family who have loved ones overseas fighting for something that most people don’t agree with. In the past when troops came home on big ships the Statue was the first thing they would see. It represents a home and community for people of all different ethnic backgrounds and races. People who don’t live in America are not able to express themselves through art or religion the way we are able to. It is the Statues duty to remind us of who we are if not, then what are we trying to protect. When I stand beneath the Statue of Liberty I am proud to an American!