Crystal - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: work

There are times in life where you feel as though you are trying your best, but you are not able to see the results. At this time, you want to give up, and break down.

About a year ago, the same thing happened in my life. I was playing tennis well, but I soon realized that for me to get better, I would need to go to another tennis academy. At this new academy, I was working much harder, but I could not see the benefits of my hard work. I was the last one to finish my running, and I was having trouble beating an eleven year old at tennis! I was upset and frustrated, and there were many times when I wanted to give up and quit. However, I refused to stop playing the sport I loved so much, and began to see the results. After my “breakdown,” I became the second person to finish the running, and was moved to the top court of drills. This was better than I had expected, and I was thrilled. I was able to have my breakthrough after my break down.

About three years ago, my family went on a ski trip to Taos. I had never skied before, and I was hoping to start on the easiest slope. However, that was not my dad’s plan. He decided to take me on the longest course that Taos had. When we got to the top of the mountain, my dad started skiing down, and I was left to figure out how to get down the mountain. I was terrified, and all that I could thing about was how I wanted to get off the mountain, without having to actually ski down it. However, I knew that I could not break my leg and go down by the ski jet, so I started to watch the other skiers go down the hill. Then I saw this young girl go down the mountain, and I thought that if she could ski, then I could too. When I started my trek down the mountain, I kept falling down. However, as I started to pick up on how to ski, I was really enjoying myself. Now, my family goes on ski trips about every other year, and I am absolutely thrilled that I was able to have my breakthrough after my break down.

These experiences taught me that everyday we have the option of quitting when we do not immediately see the results. However, if we quit, we will never get to experience a breakthrough. This breakthrough establishes a sense of pride, because it is something that we had to work for. It helps to build character and good work ethics. Now sometimes, good things happen, and nobody experienced a break down, but when that happens, it does not have as much meaning as when somebody had to work for it. For these reasons, I believe that that many people experience break downs before breakthroughs.