Ricky - Woodland Park, Colorado

Ricky Chaney II

Woodland Park High School

November 16, 2007

I Believe In Music

I believe in the Red Hot Chili Peppers lyric, “Music is my aeroplane”. Music is the force that propels me, it acts as a motivation and a drive. It also has the ability to completely alter my mood as well as my perception of time and place. Last summer I worked on a construction crew. The work was hard and physically demanding. Motivation was hard to find at 7:00 on a hot July, Wednesday morning. The right music could always set the tone. Marilyn Manson always seemed to jump start me the best, and I could tell it had a similar effect on the other guys on the crew as well. Everyone would kind of crawl in to work with their coffee of energy drinks and start rolling out the tools. But once the radio came out and a CD was popped in, I could feel the momentum shift and we were all off and running

But after work, its always good to slow down, kick back, and…juggle. Juggling requires a completely different mood from the construction site. The mind set for juggling needs to be fluid relaxation. That is at least for me. The Dave Matthews Band helps me achieve this mind set. A couple songs in and the balls or clubs are flying in the air. It gets to a point were my eyes and hands are following the beat for the music. The rhythm dictates the pace and pattern of my juggling.

“Music is my aeroplane”. An airplane ascends and transcends earthly boundaries. Have you ever heard a song on the radio and it reminded you of a different time and place? Auditory stimulation is a trigger for our memories. A certain song can take you back to last weekend of the age of five.

The experience is almost surreal and trans ports us in our minds at least to another time and place. If you pay attention you can see this happening to people all around you. My mom can be folding laundry but thinking about a time in her youth because a certain song is playing. Why do you think our parents like listening to “oldies” so much? It’s the music of their youth.

I choose my life’s sound track regardless of time, place or task at hand, the music is always playing. The songs drive me, relax me and take me away, “music is my aeroplane.” I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF MUSIC.