Dalton - Heber, Utah

Dalton B

“This I Believe”

Dec. 13, 2007

Family Is Forever

I believe in family. Family is always there for you when friends can’t be. Friends come and go. Family is there for you for your whole life. My family is the best in the world, in my opinion. They have been there for the hardest times in my life and will always be there for me when I need them. I couldn’t ask anymore from them.

Good parents are the essential part of a good family structure. My parents have been great to me. There have been times when I should have gotten into deep trouble but they have let it slide. For the things that I did that were really bad, I get punished the right amount. To say the truth, I have it a lot easier than my brother did. I get away with things he never would have. I have it worse in another way though.

My brother grew up with a fully functional father that he could go hunting with or fishing with, and other things that you can do with your dad. I don’t have the luxury that he had. My dad is now a quadriplegic, which means he is paralyzed from the neck down. He had a neck surgery to remove a tumor from his neck that was hitting his spinal cord. The first surgery was a success but it didn’t last long. He had complications and had to have more operations. I lost count of how many times he has gone in. I think it’s around 6 or 7 times in the last two years.

Because of that, my dad is in a wheel chair and has to be fed and other things since he can’t do it himself. They stay at my grandmas because it is all one level so he can get wherever he wants. I have to stay at my house with my other grandma staying with me. I am really grateful that she takes time out of her busy schedule to stay with me.

My mom has the hardest job of any of us though. I think she is the most hardworking mom on earth. She works almost 24-7 to make sure everything is alright. She works almost all day and then has to go home and work more taking care of my dad. She stays up most of the night helping him turn or roll on his back to make him comfortable. I can’t imagine doing that all the time but she manages to do it. Somehow she has time to make sure that I’m fine and to take care of me too.

My family has helped everybody that they could and I respect them for that. I love my family very much and I wouldn’t want any other. This I believe.