Alexandra - Marietta, Georgia

I Believe Blood is Thicker than Water

I believe blood is thicker than water. This principle remains true no matter what this solution is put into or how it is mixed up. Like this, no matter how much our individual lives or situations change family always remains the most important. In our lives, we will experience good times and bad times, hard times and easy times it is infallible. However, these ups and downs can be buffered by family.

At almost the end of my freshman year, there was one paper that was going to make the difference between an A and a B, a 4.0 and a 3.0, a great grade and a good grade. And even though I had procrastinated and now had only three days to complete the paper I was determined to succeed. I was going to make this the best paper ever. However, as my frustration grew about the paper not matching up with the perfect blueprint in my head so did my attitude. I began to yell and get really frustrated with my parents when they asked me to help around the house or do a chore that seemed petty when compared to the importance of my paper. Many times my younger brothers begged me to play with them. My sister needed help with her Spanish homework. However, I would shrug them off by shortly saying that I did not have time. Throughout this period I was so wrapped up in my paper that I barely recognized just how awful I was acting.

Then it happened, what once was my developed three paged paper was now a blank black screen. Panicked, I turned the computer back on but all I got was an error screen. My stomach dropped, something I had worked diligently on for three days was gone in an instant. I called for my parents but nothing they did changed the deep blue abyss that glared off the screen. Now nine o’clock the night before it was due all my hopes began to fade away. However, a second later my parents and three siblings stood in a line and as if I were the general of an army and promised me their service. As they all beamed at me I realized that no matter how awful I had been to them, my family was the only constant support system I could count on. No matter how tough life gets I know they will always be there for me and in return I must be there for them. This, I believe.