John - Marietta, Georgia

I believe in family. I believe in warm hugs, laughs, and smiles. Family is comfort. A family should make you feel safe. You should be able to let go and have fun without being concerned of what other people think. In my life, I have many different types of family. My friends are family, my pets are family, my neighbors are family, my camp is family, and my relatives are family.

In the second grade during the day before Halloween, I was riding my bike around the cul-de-sac. Before I had known what happened, I was laying down on the solid concrete with a broken arm. I didn’t realize it was broken until I eventually looked at it, screaming at the top of my lungs. My friend, who was with me, ran to get my parents. My parents and my friend’s step-dad raced me to the emergency room and stayed with me the rest of the afternoon. Family is protection, family is comforting. The next night when I was forced to stay in bed watching “The Power Rangers” instead of roaming around the neighborhood trick-or-treating, my two best friends stayed with me and kept me from getting bored. They were family.

Sometimes people can relate more to family that is their age. This is possible because they are going through the same things their friends are and everyone understands each other more. Although this is true, some people learn more from their traditional family because the most time is spent with them.

My grandpa and my dad are gentlemen. I admire them for their manners and common acts of courtesy. They both have taught me different things such as to stand up at the table when a woman enters or leaves the room and many other table manners. I have also learned other things like to look someone in the eyes and have a firm handshake when greeting them. I appreciate all that they have taught me and I continue to learn from their actions. My family has helped me grow and mature as a person.

I believe that family is an essential element that should be present in everyone’s life. No matter who your family is, you learn from them. Your family helps you discover things that are not possible by yourself. All of my characteristics come from my families and add to my personality. I am what my family is.