Kirby - Nashwuak, Minnesota

Kirby Y

Expository Writing, Alto

This I Believe Essay

Practice Makes Perfect

Does practice really make perfect? I’ve played sports since I was old enough to play on a team. By the time I was 14 I had been told “practice makes perfect” so many times by my coaches that I didn’t even really listen to them.

For example, when I was in 8th grade my coach, Leon Stutzman, finally got on me for my form on my jump shots. My shooting form was way off, and I was a very inconsistent shooter. Some nights I would be on fire, but most of the time I was limited to layups because I couldn’t hit a jump shot to save my life. I tried really hard for a little bit. When I would shoot, I would always be thinking about my form and what I was doing wrong. If I was doing something wrong, I would do my best to fix it. Then after a few weeks my practice didn’t really help, so I didn’t try as hard for a while. I went the whole basketball season being a very inconsistent player.

One day when I was 15, I was watching TV, I saw a show that took the viewer through the day in the life of a pro basketball player, and that day it was about Lebron James. I didn’t think Lebron James needed any practice because he is so good. He makes just about anything he shoots. Usually the players go to the gym and practice shooting or some other thing they think they need work on. Lebron James, who is one of the best there is right now, shot over 500 jump shots in one afternoon. He shot one after another until he was drenched in sweat and was really tired out, and then he shot some more. Then I realized that he practices even when it looks like he doesn’t need any practice.

With the combination of the TV show and my coach telling me to practice, I finally realized that if I wanted to get better I needed to practice and practice a lot. The summer after the basketball season I decided that I would practice shooting, and I played probably two days every week over the summer until I was able to shoot really well, consistently. The next year I was able to notice that my practice paid off because of the shots I was making on the court.

During this summer I’ve worked even more than last summer on my shooting. I’ve noticed that I keep getting better, and the more I shoot the better I get. Like Lebron James, who practices even though he is so good, I still practice my shooting even though I have gotten better at it. I’m not going to stop practicing, though I’ve gotten better. I think I can get even better if I keep practicing. I know I am no where close to a perfect shot, but I believe I have taken some really big steps towards it. Although practice probably doesn’t make perfect, I do believe that if I work as hard as I can on something, I can get really, really close.