Carolyn - Marietta, Georgia

I believe in the power of the mind. Everyone has the capability to be happy no matter what the circumstances may be. Everyone has that capability because each has the prerogative of controlling his or her own thoughts. The only thing you can depend on is the strength in yourself. By creating positive thoughts, you are creating a positive lifestyle.

After my mom, my only close family member, was diagnosed with a severe case of depression, I diverted all my emotional and physical needs to my two very close friends, Margo and Jamie. They helped guide me through the toughest times of my life. They did their best to shield me from any additional emotional pain, aside from dealing with my mom. Once I heard the news that Margo was moving that spring, I was in shock. Shortly after Margo’s move I learned of Jamie’s drug addiction. After all he had done for me, I realized the best thing I could do for him was to let him recover, alone. So I let him go.

But where would that leave me? Who was going to be there to keep me sane? Who was going to tell me how to live my life? Why did all of this have to happen all at once? Why could I not just be happy?

I stayed in my room wondering, praying, and contemplating how I was going to go on without them. After searching for every escape I could think of, I finally hit a life changing point of realization, I was all I needed to survive. I could make myself content. I could rely on myself. All I had to do was be grateful for the things I did have, and pretend I was already content in the areas I felt I was lacking.

By training my mind to focus on positive thoughts, I was able to create a whole new way of living. However, this was no easy task. My thoughts usually revolved around negativity, so making the switch was quite difficult. But after months of forcing myself to create happiness, happiness was mine. And then I realized that was my mom’s problem all along. She did not believe she could ever get out of depression, so she never did. It was that simple. The power you hold in your thoughts and mind are far more influential than any problem or event you will ever face.

You feel what you believe you feel.