All You Need is Love

Crystal - Geneva, Illinois

I came to Millikin University primarily for an education. I came to further my study of my life’s passion: theatre. I came to live on my own, away from home, and increase my independence. However, I have found something here that I did not come for: a true friend. I believe in love. More specifically, I believe in roomie love.

Nicole N– is my roommate. We were assigned together, and met for the first time at orientation, but I truly believe that we were put together by fate.

Nicole and I are nearly opposites and yet very similar in the best ways. Her curly brown hair, blue eyes and bronze skin are a stark contrast to my straight blonde hair, brown eyes and very fair skin. Nicole has a gentle, shy demeanor and speaks softly and rarely. I am the loud, outgoing chatterbox. I encouraged Nicole to be more friendly and outspoken and she taught me that sometimes, less is more. We both share a deep love of music, and although our tastes vary, we have spent hours sharing our favorite songs back and forth and burning each other CDs. Countless nights we have been up with a mug of tea sharing our boy drama. Nicole wears earthy tones and I have a brighter wardrobe, but we are the same size and often trade clothes before going out on the weekend. We even got sick at the same time and were both holed up in our dorm room for a week, sharing blankets and watching our respective favorite children’s programs. Nicole is the best roomie love I could have asked for.

One day, Nicole sat me down and told me that she had come to a very difficult decision, and she said the words I had least wanted to hear:

I am transferring.

The art program wasn’t working out as she expected and overall Millikin just wasn’t the right fit. She made it clear, though, that the friends she made it the hardest to have to leave.

Well, this popped my little Milli-bubble of joy. My head quickly flooded with painful questions: Who will I go out to SAE with on weekends? Who will always listen to every funny joke, good song, or stupid boy story I have? Who will I do the secret Hannah Montana handshake with?

I realized I already knew the answer to these questions. I could never do any of these things with anyone else but my roomie love!

Yes, Nicole is leaving at semester. Yes, I am very sad about it. Still, I know she is not out of my life forever. Nicole once said to me, “I was meant to meet you now, and now I will have you in my life forever!” Cheesy as it sounds, Nicole will still be with me, even if she isn’t here at Millikin, because of all the wonderful memories we’ve made together. I will have a new replacement roommate, but nobody can replace my roomie love.