I believe in the search.

Kelsey - Virginia, Illinois

When I say the search, I mean the search every college student is on in their lives. Everyone is trying to find themselves and what they should do with the rest of their life. For most people in high school, the search is finding the right college. Now that we are in college, the search is what to do after we graduate. However, it is much more than this. It is mainly the search to find yourself.

We are looking for the answers to questions such as who am I and how do I know. I have especially found this to be true in my situation. I purposely chose a college where I knew no one. The last person that attended Millikin University from my high school was my older brother who graduated two years ago. I put myself into a situation that forced me to really jump into this search. I believe I have come closer in the search for myself throughout this semester. I have many more friends than I did in high school, and I am much closer with these new friends I have made. I have also learned so much in my first semester classes, more than I realized I would. I think the first semester at college is the most important semester for a student, whether you are attending college with all your friends or do not know a single person. Personally, I have only been home twice during this semester, and that was because both were breaks, Fall and Thanksgiving, so I had to go home. Many people ask me why I do not go home more often, and I tell them that I would rather be here. I have found closer relationships with people here, found that challenge within the classrooms that I lacked throughout high school, and found myself adjusting to a different setting. I believe that I have embraced this change in my life and have taken all the opportunities that have been available to me. I am still the same person and am showing qualities I displayed in high school through the activities I have become involved in.

College is a big step for many people, but I had been impatiently waiting for it to come throughout my entire senior, and junior, year of high school. Now that I have almost completed my first semester of college, I feel as if it was a big step for me. College is the first real step for many people in this search. You accelerate forward without any breaks; you are forced to search within yourself to make the “right” decisions and cannot rely on others. This may scare some people, but I, for one, am glad I did not have any breaks. All of your experiences make you stronger, and the fact that I chose to begin this step of my search alone helped make me the person I am and showed my true character.