Love and Support

Kara - Countryside, Illinois

Senior Night, my last home swim meet ever in my high school pool. The place that I have grown up, devoting my entire life to something that I greatly enjoyed starting at the age of six when my mom decided my love for the water needed to be carried out. This was an emotional night for me thinking that I was never going to see or talk to the sixty girls that composed my high school swim team and also thinking that I was never going to swim again; at least not competitively. The eight senior girls had been through everything with me, from transitioning into a school of close to four thousand to the death of my grandma to my dad being diagnosed with cancer to graduation day when we all realized we were moving on with our lives. I became terrified. All the love and support that this team had shown would eventually go down hill and I did not know where or if I was ever going to find it again.

Coming to Millikin, I had my mind set that I was not going to swim in another race and that I was going to continue with my music but soon that all changed. I started to go to the meetings and get to know the team. Through Ultimate Frisbee games and water balloon fights as well as a team pasta party, I really got to know the members that would compose my new swim team. They were a group of people who were accepting and willing to help with everything, almost identical to my high school team. My mind was made; I was going to enter back into competitive swimming after being away from it for six months. I was not in shape physically, but mentally I was prepared to take on another challenge of college life.

I soon began to realize that swimming was not the challenge because it was something that I wanted to do. The challenge was how to figure out new relationships and build new friends. After many practices I found that the swim team was already a tight group of friends that the freshmen were becoming accepted into. They were there to guide us through our first week on the team and with classes. They have been there to talk to you about anything you may be struggling with, and most importantly they were willing to accept you into something that already existed. I believe that without the love and support that these two teams have provided for me, I would not have made it through high school or even my first semester of college. Love and support makes every situation easier, knowing that you have people you can talk to and they will love you no matter what. Therefore I believe in the necessity for love and support.