Taylor - Grapevine, Texas

I Believe

When I left for college my friends and I said that we would always be friends; that we would never lose touch. We went to school and talked every so often. We did the usual: occasional text messages, facebook messages, and visits over breaks. However, none of us knew just how much our friendship would be put to the test.

At the beginning of December I was singing in a Christmas concert. After the last performance I picked up my phone to receive I had several missed calls and multiple voice mails. I quickly learned that my friend’s mom had passed away. She had had cancer many years ago and it came back after we went to college.

I didn’t know what I could possibly do to console her since I was so far away from her. I waited for her to call me, not wanting to intrude. She called me the next day to make sure I had heard. She told me she was doing well considering the circumstances. She said she had a lot of her close friends with her and it was really helping her through the situation. She told me to keep praying and that she was excited for me to come home.

My friend had just gone through a terrible tragedy, yet whenever I talked to her she wasn’t overly angry or sad. She had friends with her from the moment she found out the bad news. They were with her at the hospital, slept over at her house, and went to the funeral with her. Their simple presence has helped her be strong and get through this. If they wouldn’t have been there to talk to or lend a shoulder to cry on, she probably would have had a harder time.

Aristotle said, “without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.” I believe Aristotle is right. I believe friendship is one of the most valuable things a person can have and it can do amazing things.