Morgan - Delanson, New York
Themes: change

I believe in the power of change – the idea that nothing is permanent except for impermanence itself.

I am not the person I was four years ago. And I will not be the person I am today four years from now. Just like everyone else, I am being constantly shaped by my environment and by the opportunities I choose to take.

This fall, I began my first year at college – my main objective during my four years of high school. There were many bumps along my path, but I had made it to the finish line, overjoyed at my accomplishment yet, at the same time, anxious about what was to come. Was going to college really what I wanted? Or did I only think it was the next step to take because the idea had been drummed into my head incessantly over the last few years?

Indeed, after I moved into the college dormitory and met my suitemates, the thought that I had made a grave mistake came to me as more than a fleeting notion. Yes, I had assured everyone from my friends to my parents that I was ready to be on my own, that it would not be that big a deal. But somewhere between the tears and the constant phone calls home, I realized that college wasn’t like my brief stint at horse-camp; there would be no “going home” after a week no matter how much I argued the point. And, so, I forced myself to grow up.

I now find myself at the end of the first semester, glowing with the achievement of good grades and the completion of an eighth of my undergraduate studies. I will be studying abroad this winter, being truly on my own for the first time in my life. Had I not matured… had I not changed… my preparedness for this opportunity would, most likely, be questionable. And although I have barely scratched the surface of my college experience, I have already grown in maturity.

This is why I believe in the power of change.