Sloan - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: work

“Now wait a minute,” my dad cried out. “What if you don’t like it? I don’t want you wasting your money on this.” It was close to my fourteenth birthday, and I had been begging to buy a guitar since October; it was now the end of June. But once I finally had the chance to get a guitar, his doubts echoed through my mind: What if I got bored with it? What I never became as good as Slash? What if I’m just awful?

I rented a guitar and went home to play. The very first night with this guitar, I learned the basics, and with every strum, my heart skipped a beat. In about three weeks, as with most dreams we have as humans, my dad’s fears became my reality. Three weeks of constant practice, and the burning desire was gone. Three exciting weeks, full of “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” and “Ode to Joy” were gone in the blink of an eye.

I let my guitar collect dust, and I focused on marching band. For a month, my guitar slept in a dark corner of my room, unable to even cry out a sad melody. School started in August, but I still let my guitar weep. And then I quit marching band. Now that I had started high school, marching band became too much for me. After a month and a half without my guitar, I finally helped it to cry in joy.

Every day, I worked harder and harder, but I still wasn’t getting any better. I started private lessons in October, and by the end of the month, my teacher told me I had a lot of potential. By January, the exercises he gave me were harder than ever, but he couldn’t challenge me enough. I felt like nothing could stop me from playing my shining red electric guitar.

I believe hard work and dedication are needed to fulfill goals. Don’t give up on a dream just because it takes too much time or work. If your dream is really worth giving the effort, pursue it. Set small goals each day, such as practice. To this day, I have never again given up on my dream. My parents hear the blaring of my guitar every night, and they just smile when they hear how far I’ve come in such a short time.