Emma - Marietta, Georgia

From the very moment when Jack knocked over a bucket full of two hundred dollar sunglasses in the middle of Nordstrom, I knew I could never again be seen in public with my siblings. I had been promised a shopping trip with my mom for my birthday. But when I heard that the whole “gang,” as my mother referred to the four of us as, was coming with us, I was somewhat hesitant. But I didn’t think it would be this bad. As Martha ran in and out of the dressing rooms begging to have the overpriced lacy outfits, Sally stood around whining in her horrible mismatched outfit, a result of her refusing to let my mother dress her that morning. My poor mother was trying to keep order, while I was trying my hardest not to be seen as anyway related to “the gang.”

I have always known not to let others judge me. Not to let the way people think affect the way I am. It’s not that easy. I had always resented my sisters and brother if they ever did anything stupid or embarrassing. I hated when they tagged along with me or the fact that they were always there to pick me up from a friends’ house. However, I now realize that I can’t change who my family is, how they act, or what they say. I am my family; they are a part of me. I believe in acceptance. I believe in taking things for what they are and making the most out of it. Whether it be something positive or negative, I believe that accepting the things you can not change is important.

I’ve started to value Martha, Sally, and Jack’s company, even if it is in the name of my reputation. I have learned to play hide-and-seek with Jack through the sales racks, and pick out the most radical outfits with Sally. I run around with Martha and try to get my mother to buy a fifty-dollar pair of pajamas that will shrink the second it goes in the dryer. I believe in acceptance. If people want to judge me, then have them know that I come with a “gang.”