Jorden - Brazoria, Texas
Themes: courage

In this world of Technicolor, people choose to view everything in shades of black and white. Too often, people degrade themselves to fit in and feel accepted. Some people have the capability of standing out to make a difference in this world, yet they succumb to following the crowd. I believe that people do not live up to their full expectations because they are too self conscious. I believe that we must say no to peer pressure.

Too many times I see it, in high schools, at the mall, even just strolling down the street. In the most valuable and life defining stages of life people accept the fact of blending in. God gave us all the potential to change the world; He placed something so miraculous into all of us. Why ignore it? I have come to realize that, as a teenager, it is very difficult to venture away from your peers. It makes people stronger, though it may not seem like it at the time. I know how isolated one can be without the knowledge and the hand of others, but in those moments you build character and know that everything will work out.

It is pathetic when teenagers can not think for themselves. How ridiculous is it that every time I turn on the news there is another death by drunk driving or a murder due to gang initiations. Yet people try to convince themselves that they are not slaves of peer pressure. It is at times like these people must undo their chains and remember their true colors. I ask myself, is it worth crime, heartache and all the self demeaning moments just to belong? There are too many opportunities out in our world to only fall into the arms of other. Your choices and your actions make you who you are; your uniqueness.

Maybe people feel that the world will not accept them for who they are, therefore, they try to follow others. In that case there is a quote by Stacey Charter that I believe in with my whole heart, “There comes a time when you have to stand up and shout: I look the way I look, think the way I think, feel the way I feel, love the way I love! I am a whole complex package. Take me… or leave me. Accept me- or walk away! Do not try to make me feel like less of a person, just because I don’t fit your idea of who I should be and don’t try to change me to fit your mold. If I need to change, I alone will make that decision.” I make my decisions, my actions are mine alone; stay true to yourself. I believe that you should stand up for what YOU believe.