SKATEBOARDING HARASSMENT

jordan - Heber, Utah
Themes: sports, tolerance

I hate how everyone treats skateboarders differently than others. Like if all of us are just skating and skate through a parking lot and than they come out and yell at us just because we were skating through there just to go to our friend’s house. But when there is a biker, scooter or even a rollerblader comes through that parking lot they don’t do anything about it they just let them walk through without coming out and yelling them for riding by. All of us skateboarders get ticketed all the time just because of what we like to do all the time and that’s to ride our skateboards. It is probably one of my favorite things to do with my friends. A lot of my friends love to skate almost as much as I do but I love it more than anything in the world. “I’m calling the cops”, we hear it all the time. from security, business owners, and even pedestrians who walk the street. what more can we do but leave. I’ve been kicked out of places for holding my skate and just walking. They just don’t trust us. even at a grocery store it happens. They make us put our skateboards at the counter then follow us like we’re thieves.

I am probably not the only one who thinks that skateboard harassment follows us every where we go. Thousands of skaters quit because they think, what’s the point of owning a skateboard if you can’t even skate. Legalizing skateboarding is a great idea. Yes, maybe they may be some bad news in skateboarding, like drugs and shop lifting. But it is from the people. No one stands on a skateboard and becomes a bad person. It’s from the harrasment we get. And that’s pretty much the end of my story. But I would like for a lot of people not to judge us because of how we look and the way we act, so don’t judge us please.