Melissa - Brazoria, Texas
Themes: change

I believe in change. Change is defined as “to make or become different.” Some people in the world are extremely opposed to change; they have close-minded opinions. I have recently made a very personal change within myself and so far, I have liked it for the better. However, not all of my peers agree with me.

I used to be an extremely self conscious girl with low self esteem that always cared what people thought about me. At the point in time, my friends got on to me for being self-conscious. I did not like lacking confidence. So I took the initiative and stepped up my game. I have widened the range and variety of people that I talk to and it has been a helpful step towards getting to have a more outgoing personality.

This process began by breaking up with my boyfriend. That change was definitely a good one because he was holding me back. My friends even commended me for it; obviously they didn’t get along. But that’s besides the point, now I am getting “dogged on” because I hang out with more and different people and apparently it seems that I have “alienated myself” from my true friends. This drama is causing me to have a love/hate relationship with my change. I love the fact that I’m more outgoing and have a larger variety of friends. I hate the fact that improving my personality is causing me to lose relationships with my so-called “true” friends. There is no need for these “friends” to bash the new relationships I have formed. They should realize that words can hurt.

I admit that I might not have made the best decisions lately, but my friends should be there to give me support, not to give me their criticism. It seems like recently my thoughts and feelings have been on an extremely adventurous roller coaster ride. I don’t think perfectly clear all the time, but I do know for sure that I will continue to embrace the change I have made within myself and will not let other people hold me down. Being more self-assured is a change I believe is worth pursuing.