Samantha - Sweeny, Texas

The Small Imperfections are the Most Important

When people look at a painting or picture, they tend to look at it as a whole. Nobody pays attention to each individual stroke, to each individual color, or even to the smallest details. This just doesn’t pertain to pictures, but to life itself. People rather look at life as a whole than to appreciate the small aspects.

This is why I believe the small imperfections are the most important. They are the ones who determine who we are. They are constructed together to enable us to see things as a whole. They, even the smallest ones, make life worth living. When I look around the room right now, at this very second, I do not see just a room full of students working on their schoolwork. No, I see each as an individual. I see the faces with crooked smiles and ponderous eyes, which are saying, “I have no idea what I’m doing.” I see my peers whose faces are just a few inches away from their papers, lost in their own work, and smudging ink or lead on the side of their hands unconsciously as they move across their thoughts.

This is what makes us who we are. Those small imperfections that people notice but are not fully aware of. The goofy laughs, high-pitched sneezes, the thick accents, the bold-legged walking, thinking out loud, the hysterical off-key singing as friends blare music in the car, and that certain way your significant other says, “I need you.” These are the things people take for granted. These are the imperfections people reminisce about. These are the imperfections that can even make the most adventurous traveler nostalgic. The way a person twists their hair around their finger, or even the way a person’s leg shakes when they get nervous. The road rage, the mumbling, speaking with our hands, the incoherent responses, the ear-rattling snores, the lazy eyes, the occasional crack in the voice, and the awkward silences. I believe in those small imperfections because they are what make us individuals.

Nobody’s perfect, and thank goodness for that because then life would be boring. Take the time to look around. Find the small imperfections and embrace them. It isn’t until we accept faults that we can truly love each other and ourselves.