Fear Must Be Faced To Be Overcome

Immon - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: fear

Fear: the emotion a person feels when he faces a task that is intimidating. Everyone has fears at one point or another in life; however, not many people choose to go against fear and conquer it. I believe that in order to overcome fear, one must face fear.

Like most children, I had many fears growing up. My biggest fear, however, was riding roller coasters. The terror I felt when I would look at is indescribable. The roar of it sent chills down my spine. Even though I panicked at the sight of the coaster, I knew this was an obstacle I had to face sooner rather than later, and one day, that time had come.

At the amusement park, I could not believe that I was actually going to ride a roller coaster. While in the line, I remember thinking “Why am I doing this? Should I back out?” The ride was getting closer and bigger as the line moved forward. The rumble of the coaster grew louder with every step I took towards the loading area. At last, it was our turn to get on the ride. Never in my life had I thought I would be this close to a roller coaster. After a few tension-filled seconds, I built up enough courage and climbed in the seat. Cautiously, I pulled the safety harness down and secured myself tightly in the seat. After the workers made sure everyone was secure and ready to go, I felt a little budge and the coaster started moving forward. I knew there was no looking back now.

The ride started slowly, creeping up a never-ending hill. Then, I felt a sudden halt as the ride started to go downward towards the Earth. Suddenly, I felt butterflies in my stomach as the ride made twist and turns. Panic raced through my mind as the coaster did flips at high speeds. Then, just as soon as it had started, I felt the ride slow down as it entered the loading area. It was over. I had faced my fear, and I had overcome it.

Now, I have learned that fears are nothing to worry about. By getting on the ride, I proved to myself that with some effort and courage, my fears can be conquered. Since that day, I have not let my fears take advantage of me. Whether it is a test, a game, or a ride that makes me nervous, I do not avoid it. Instead I try and give it my all to do well. If fears aren’t taken care of, they may stay with a person for a majority of his life.

Fear is nothing but an obstacle in a person’s life. It cannot be overcome unless it is faced head on. That is what I did, and that is what I believe.