Brent - Marietta, Georgia

The Friends of Joy or Pain

What makes a friend worthwhile? People crave friends, but the type of friend people look for differs. I believe in true friendship.

Friends are luxuries that take time and effort to cultivate. But if you take the time, your friendship will be incredible. True friendship invigorates your life. One of my greatest friends happens to be my uncle. Though he is a weary red-neck from Texas, he and I always enjoy the time we have together. Whether we go fishing or chase cows around his farm, it does not matter. We enjoy each other’s company because we have one of the greatest friendships. Over the years we have nourished our friendship and watch it gain trust and respect. True friendship allows any person to become someone you can always count on.

However, the term “friend” misleads many, for if someone were really a friend, you would expect a companion that enjoys your company, and supports you. This is not true. I vividly recall times in my life when I took on hollow friends. This act was not gaining a tight bond with a person, but more of grabbing another buddy to put on the shelf. In one instance, I began a new friendship. He was a little geeky and few knew who he was. For one reason or another, I wanted to know him. After months of hanging out, we gradually increased the strength of our friendship. However, this would not last. Later, he excluded me from parties and attempted to turn my friends against me. Betrayal pulsed through my veins, even though it was my fault. I chose to go along with whatever he did.

I believe this happens to many people, and they always question “Why me!” The answer is right there. Going through life accumulating friends is not a good way to live. One day it is going to hurt. Finally, when the damage has been suffered, someone will try to find comfort in friends, but they have been abandoned. They are alone.

Regular friendship leaves so much unknown. Life’s mere friendships are likely to cripple your life from working in any way just as it did to me. This is why I believe in true friendship. Many choose short gains with their friends and their lives crumble as time flies away, as it leaves them in agony on the ground. So I choose to be ready in life with true friends.