Arielle - Marietta, Georgia

Some people scream into a pillow to let out their emotions. My feelings are not wasted on a pillow. My feelings are shared through music. Music has been a strong influence in my life which is why I believe in music.

Music has been a part of my life from the beginning. The first songs I ever listened to were warbled by Barney. At the age of eight, I began to play the flute. From that point on, playing music was just as important as listening to it.

At my first recital, I was incredibly nervous. I had never stood in front of such a big audience before. The only people who had ever heard me play were my teacher and my family. My mom told me to picture everyone in their underwear. This advice calmed me down, and I got through the concert. I no longer have to use this visual when in front of people because when I am on stage, holding my instrument, I feel more comfortable than anywhere else. Some things I am very modest about, playing music is not one of them. This is one of the reasons music is so important to me.

The music I listen to reflects the mood I am in. When I am sad, I listen to slow classical music. Some of the songs I listen to remind me of different memories. Line dances remind me of parties with my friends, songs in different languages remind me of my travels, and Tchaikovsky always makes me smile. I let music speak for me.

The first pieces of music I played were taught through memorization and listening. Still in high school, my sense of hearing is very important. Music involves many subjects I learn in school including math, science, foreign language, and social studies. Like Spanish, I believe music is another language I am learning to speak. It is impossible to learn every word in a language, so you always are learning something new, just like when playing a new piece of music. I learn about the history of different types of music as well as the time periods in which each was written. Counting beats involves math and the properties of sound require science. Not only have these subjects helped improve my music, music has helped me in these different subjects.

Music is very important to my daily life. The radio wakes me up in the morning with an energizing song. I listen to music and play my viola at school. Songs help me concentrate on my work in the afternoon and I listen to a song or two before I go to bed. After three instruments, many different teachers and conductors, and many unforgettable experiences, I have learned that I only play music for myself, and no one else. Music will remain a big part of my life for many years. Everyone should have music be a part of their life because I truly believe in the power of music.