Christina - Marietta, Georgia

The Essence of Family

I have come to realize that my family is the most important thing in the world to me. Without my family, I have no idea where I would be today. Each member of my family understands one another’s likes, dislikes, and dreams. In my family of five, we are always there for one another during the good and bad times. Although my family is extremely close, I know it took time for us to get close to one another and achieve a rich bond. I believe that it is possible for every family to have an everlasting bond.

One particular time I was having a bad day, and did not believe that that anyone or anything could make me feel better, but I was wrong. Sitting at the dining room table after a meal of a crisp caesar salad with grilled shrimp, I could hear matches being stroked against a matchbox and soon after, the smell of lit candles traveled my way. Glancing at the doorway, I saw a warm glow followed by my mom, dad, and brothers. The pleasant aroma of freshly baked cake filled the room. Magic flooded the atmosphere as the sparkling candles approached the table. As the glowing cake was set in front of me, I felt the warmth and compassion of my family in my heart. I blew once, I blew twice- the candles were tricks. “Come on Chrissy, blow” shouted my little brother. A hearty lump formed and lodged in my throat as I tried to blow out the sparklers: I was amazed at how much my family loved me.

Although every family does not share their life stories around the table or spontaneously pop out freshly baked cakes all the time, there is always a place where families can have fun together and bond to become stronger. Creating a strong bond in a family is like finding a diamond. The diamond expert must spend months cutting the diamond and polishing the jewel until every geometric segment sparkles with all of its being. Just like polishing a diamond, a quick stop at the park or a family joy ride during a spring shower are ways the families can take time to actually get to know each other. I believe that families can grow stronger and become polished diamonds, instead of becoming weaker. This I believe.