Caroline - Marietta, Georgia

At the age of nine, my life had once again become centered on nap-times, cartoons, and crying. I found out I would get another sister in third grade when my dad and step-mom sat me down on my bed one winter night. I already had Elizabeth, two years younger than me, but I didn’t remember what it was like to live with a baby because I was so young at the time when she was born. I embraced this new addition to my family not knowing the changes that would soon occur.

Grace was born in the sweltering summer, and I fell in love with her slurring sounds and innocent eyes. So did my parents. It was a downfall because everything in our household was focused on the baby. No breakables, no walking upstairs when baby was sleeping, bedtimes of seven. My life really took a turn because of all the new rules. Two years flew by, and I got another “big sister speech” by my dad and step-mom. Olivia was born, and immediately Elizabeth “claimed” her as her own. Elizabeth made sure she had full control of Olivia since I always played with Grace, so the deal was I got Grace, and Elizabeth had Olivia. Our “ownership” dissolved weeks later, and we all began playing together. It was easier when Olivia was born because I had already experienced everything that happens when a little one lives with you. I already had mastered sleeping with a pillow over my head to block out all the crying during the night. I morphed into a responsible, big sister who could get a good night’s rest and calm a crying child.

I never expected I would become so close to all my sisters, but after all the “baby drama” was gone, it got easier to relate to them. Hide-and-seek, Disney movies, and stroller races all brought my sisters together because in the end we laughed. Through the births of my new sisters, I got to learn firsthand that any age can play together. I learned that even though we had our big age differences we could still connect in our happy and funny times. We all spoke the same language of laughter.

Now that Olivia and Grace are in elementary school, Elizabeth in middle, and I’m in high school, we still get along. Our strong bond held together by joy and laughter keeps us close. It doesn’t matter if you can read chapter books; it doesn’t matter if you can reach the sink. All that matters when embracing each other’s company is to let your inner-child loose and laugh until it hurts.