Samantha - Sale City, Georgia

Everyone has their off days. Everyone has bad hair days. Everyone is too shy or talks too much sometimes. What if everyone judged you by their first impression of you? Would you be their new best friend, or would they immediately dislike you? I believe that judging others is wrong.

“You can’t judge a book by its cover,” is a cliché that everyone has heard many times. But do we ever really stop to think about what it means? Judging others by their appearance or how they act the first time you meet them is very unfair. It does not give them a chance to be themselves around you.

When I met my best friend Lisa, she didn’t come across as very friendly to me. I was immediately turned off by this and was kind of offended, but it wasn’t until later that I realized she was only shy. She didn’t talk to me because she wasn’t sure of what to say, not because she just didn’t want to talk to me. If I hadn’t taken the time to get to know her, I wouldn’t have such a great friend today.

The action of judging people really does affect your whole life. By taking the time to get to know people, you don’t make as many wrong judgments about them. By not unfairly judging people, you make many more friends and see the true side of everyone. The more friends one has, the more fun and better life one can have.

Judging others is something that I feel very strongly about. One can get to know others without really making conclusions at first, make really good lifelong friends, and have a better life. Although it is easier to just decide how you feel about someone the first time you meet them, I encourage you to take more time and find what they are really like. You might be surprised!